MARTINSBURG, WV [August 29, 2023] – Martinsburg-Berkeley County Parks & Recreation (MBCPR) is thrilled to share details about our revamped Summer and Fall Programs. These offerings showcase our continuing commitment to provide our community members with diverse recreational opportunities.
Summer 2023 Programming Highlights:
- Extended Summer Adventure Day Camp: MBCPR is proud to announce that our Summer Adventure Day Camp was extended from 8 to 10 weeks, inclusive of Before/After care at no extra fee. Camps were available at both recreation centers, offering up to 10 hours of daily activity.
- Girls Volleyball Clinic Success: After our Girls Volleyball Clinic spots were filled in record time, MBCPR responded by offering an additional session at Randy Smith Center, ensuring more of our community members had an opportunity to participate.
- Basketball Camp Expansion: Building on the success of 2022’s basketball camps, two additional Basketball Camps were introduced – one at Berkeley 2000 and another at Randy Smith Center.
- Enhanced Tennis Camps: Due to their growing popularity, we added more sessions to our Tennis Camp at PO Faulkner that gave more campers the chance to hone their tennis skills.
In total, these enhancements made room for an impressive 439 additional participants to enjoy our summer programs.
Youth League Scheduling Update:
- Basketball: The Athletics Division has streamlined our basketball program to three seasons (fall, winter, and spring). Randy Smith Recreation Center will host fall and winter seasons, while Berkeley 2000 Recreation Center will offer winter and spring leagues.
- Volleyball Growth: Reflecting the nationwide trend, MBCPR is boosting our youth volleyball activities, offering a fall session at Berkeley 2000 Recreation Center and a spring session at Randy Smith Recreation Center.
- Soccer and Futsal: Soccer continues with sessions in both fall and spring at DuPont Soccer Complex. To accommodate more of our athletes and families, we’ve invested in better soccer goals, improved field conditions, and enhanced parking areas. For the winter months, Futsal will be available at Randy Smith Center.
- Inline Hockey: Players can look forward to inline hockey twice a year (fall and spring) at Oatesdale Park.
The revisions to our schedule optimize the use of our facilities and evenly distribute activity offerings throughout the county.
“We’re committed to the evolving needs of our community and are excited about these changes,” comments Bob Williams, Executive Director.
Recreations Services Coordinator, Jennifer Justice is excited to continue serving the Berkeley County community stating,
“As our community continues to grow, our department will evaluate and revise our offerings to match the demand and help ensure equal services.”
To learn more about our events and programs, or to register, visit Martinsburg-Berkeley County Parks & Recreation (mbcparks-rec.org) or call the Park office, (304) 264-4842.
About Martinsburg-Berkeley County Parks & Recreation: MBCPR is dedicated to providing a variety of recreational activities and events for the community of Martinsburg-Berkeley County. We aim to enhance the quality of life through recreational opportunities, services, and facilities.